Just a couple of writers on a road trip through life. Hop in, hold on, and don’t forget your rain boots.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Evolution of a Writer

I am sitting here behind my computer thinking about how far my writing has come over the years.  I’ve been writing since I was in junior high. I have a litany of poems I wrote way back when. I was heavy into poetry. I still love poetry, but I stink at the ambiguity and symbolism it requires. Well, I sucked then too. What a laugh! I read my husband a poem I wrote when I was thirteen about a friend of mine who was moving away. Oh the humanity! The rhymes! The poor excuses for symbolism! So sad! At least I am good for a laugh.
Today I realize I can appreciate real poetry much more than I can write it. I love Poe. He’s my favorite poet. Perhaps it is his dark nature. I too tend to write morose themes. Now, I never married my 13 year old cousin, but who doesn’t have some sort of abandonment issue, right? The point is, I like his style and he is one of my influences as a writer.
I don’t write horror or thriller based plot (which doesn't mean I don't read it), but I do write about anguish, desperation, and mortality. My writing today bears the weight of heavier themes than my early and laughable thirteen-year-old musings.
My first novel was written in my twenties. It served a great purpose for me, but after sitting on it for a few years, I decided I could do better.  And isn’t that the rub? We writers can ALWAYS do better. And we do.
My second novel, well, I am much more proud of it. It is of anguish, abandonment, and confrontation. It was carefully written through my own blood, sweat, and tears. As it should be. It is my baby. I have given birth to my first masterpiece. Well, until I write my next and decide my second wasn’t as good as it could have been. Lol! Now onto my next. And if the writer evolves, as I am sure I have, my next will be amazing!
How has your writing evolved over the years?
- Stephanie

Stephanie Birch is a ink blotted creative genius. To contact her or read more of her super awesome genius musings, email her at birchwordnerd@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment